Surveying FAQs

What areas does Swanson Surveying service?

Our surveyors primarily service the Geelong, Melbourne and Ballarat regions but can travel to other parts of the state including western Victoria.
We can also travel interstate for specialist projects on request.

What kind of service can you expect from Swanson Surveying?

We take pride in our work, professionalism and high level of service because we realise that in the surveyors’ industry, our credibility will depend on these elements. At Swanson Surveying we strive to be Geelong and Melbourne’s most respected and reliable surveyors, renowned for putting the client first and doing the job right. We provide documentation for all work undertaken, whether providing service as a land surveyorengineering surveyor or civil construction surveyor. Swanson Surveying aims to provide cost-effective solutions for your business, using the latest technology.

What is 3D modelling and how could it help my business?

Laser scanning and 3D modelling are services Swanson Surveying has heavily researched and incorporated into the business because of its cost-effective benefits to clients requiring 3D data. Cad 3D modelling data can give engineers, architects, builders, environmental scientists and other construction professionals a visual insight into all aspects of a project. We have provided our 3D modelling and laser scanning service to Geelong and Melbourne clients who have been amazed by the technology.Even if you are old school and design using a pencil and paper, we can supply fully dimensioned 2D section plans from our point cloud data.

Still deciding whether to contract Swanson Surveying for your next project? Call us and we’ll convince you that we’re the team for the job!

What is a Licensed Surveyor?

A Licensed Surveyors is registered by the Victorian Government and is the only person legally entitled to subdivide or undertake a survey to define and mark the boundaries of your property. Licensed Surveyors define, manage and protect the space around us. From the smallest plot to multi-million dollar developments, the world in which we live is organized and legal ownership parameters are determined through the expertise of Licensed Surveyors.Licensed Surveyors are the only practitioners warranted with direct management responsibilities in our land boundary system. They are the pre-eminent experts in their field and do far more than just measure space. Licensed Surveyors interpret and navigate legal aspects of land ownership. They provide a comprehensive understanding of land, water and the air above it, its surrounds and its environment; thus protecting development from impediments and unlocking latent value.

Licensed Surveyors are the pillars on which our land administration system is managed. They are highly valued advisors in every aspect of property development. Their expertise brings simpler navigation through each regulatory step. Their rapid adoption of modern technology propels greater creativity and yield. Their experience minimises risk and provides confidence and security. Surveyors are problem solvers at heart with a scientific approach to gathering data and then applying their skills to form reliable solutions. Licensed Surveyors provide clear and credible management to the land administration to unlock untapped value.

How do I subdivide my land?

Subdivision of land generally follows a similar process:
· Stage 1 – Project Due Diligence & Costing
· Stage 2 – Planning Permit Application
· Stage 3 – Formal Subdivision
· Stage 4 – Subdivision Works & Statement of Compliance
· Stage 5 – Registration and New TitlesWhen planning your development project, the most critical aspect is to undertake thorough due diligence research. This research will allow you to gain a full understanding of the constraints of the site, and the likely costs involved with the project.Nearly all land development projects will require a planning permit under the provisions of the Planning and Environment Act. Preparation of a quality application will give your project the best chance of Council issuing a planning permit.At the subdivision stage of the development, it is crucial to review the planning permit issued by Council to understand the conditions and decide which parties will be responsible for works to enable compliance with each of the conditions. A formal Plan of Subdivision is lodged at COuncil and once this plan is certified, works relating the development may be started. Swanson Surveying is able to co-ordinate these works if required or provide advice to the client to help them meet the conditions in the planning permit.During this stage of the project, the works prescribed within the permit must be undertaken and then signed off by the responsible authority to achieve Statement of Compliance (SOC). New titles cannot be issued until SOC has been released. Works associated with subdividing land generally include providing or upgrading utility services, such as power, water, sewerage and stormwater, to the proposed lots.Once the works for the subdivision are complete, the client can then apply to have the formal Plan of Subdivision registered at Land Victoria. Usually a solicitor or conveyancer will undertake this work and will lodge all documentation prepared by Swanson Surveying along with the appropriate documents and feesSee our ‘Guide to Subdivision” for more information.

What type of survey do I need?

Land surveyors provide a range of different surveys to suit different needs and requirements.
Feature & Level Survey – used for design purposes E.g. New houses, buildings, structures and development projects.
Rescode Assessment Survey – used to measure the location and height of adjacent buildings with 9m of the subject site for town planning purposes. Required for residential building design projects.
Neighbourhood Site Description – details buildings and features within 50m of the subject site for town planning purposes. Usually required in conjunction with the above surveys for development applications.
Title Re-establishment Survey – accurately defines the position of title boundaries relative to fencing and other structures. Often combined with the above surveys for design purposes, but equally as a stand-alone survey to define and mark the title boundaries of a parcel of land.
AHD Survey – Connects a survey to the Australian Height Datum. Used for building and other development projects. Often used to assess flooding risk and to allow multiple datasets to be merged with accurate relative heights.
Application/Adverse Possession Surveys – title re-establishment survey undertaken to amend title boundaries based on land occupied. Often required in older areas of towns and rural areas where limited survey work has been undertaken recently.

What is the difference between and Land Surveyor, Building Surveyor and Quantity Surveyor?

Land Surveyors are professionals who provide advice related to property boundaries & spatial data, assist in the design process of new developments and provide construction set out and as-constructed checks.
A Building Surveyor is a professional who is tasked with understanding the building control process, has the authority to assess building plans to ensure that they comply with the Building Code of Australia, the Australian Standards referenced within it and any other relevant Building Acts or other legislation.
A Quantity Surveyor is one of a team of professional advisers to the construction industry.As advisers, they estimate and monitor construction costs, from the feasibility stage of a project through to the completion of the construction period. After construction they may be involved with tax depreciation schedules, replacement cost estimation for insurance purposes and, if necessary, mediation and arbitration.